Friday, November 7, 2008

#7

In my first post, I talked about communication as something difficult to master and I hope to understand more about communicating effectively with others. With regards to communications as something difficult to master, it still holds. But with regards to communicating effectively, I definitely learned a lot. Through all the blog posting, resume creation, survey report and the presentation, I am now equipped with so many transferable skills as compared to many other modules I took. Although the learning process was rather tedious and time-consuming, on hindsight, it was worth the while.

Of all the things I learned, I am glad to say that I written communication is the most useful of all. I have always wanted to improve my writing skills but just did not know where to start. Now, after this course, I finally realized where my writing flaws are through the 7Cs of writing. For me, I tend to be incoherent and incomplete in my writing and that was rather evident in my first post. After reading it again, my thoughts are not linked properly and it did not flow like I wish it would. I realised that good writing is when the reader goes "Ohh..." after reading it. When I write, I tend to focus on the big picture and leave out details. After this course, I know that details cannot be left out and one has to be complete in his writting so that the actual meaning is carried across. The fact that I naively assumed that the reader will imply and reach the same conclusion as me is flawed, very flawed. Now, I seemed to be more sensitive to bad writing than I am before! This is good news; I finally know where to start on improving my writing and the next step is to actually practice it on all my written work.

To end this post, I wish to say a great big thank you to the whole class for all the comments in class and to my blog. Kudos to sensei Brad for providing all the insights into our work and teaching us so much through your personal experiences. Lastly, to the 2 angels in my group for being the best teammate ever!

14 comments:

Sharon said...

Yes, this is the kind of course which on hindsight we wish we had taken earlier in our studies.

Anyway, I think it is not too late; it was good to go through this course. The skills that we have learnt will help us now and in the future and hopefully the friends we have made will continue with us through our lives.

Huiling said...

Hey Thomas, I do agree with sharon that this is one classic example of a kind of course which we wish we had taken earlier. However, due to the "wonderful" CORS system in NUS, I don't think that will be possible. Ha. Anyway, I'm glad that you have learnt various aspects of communication skills and I think that these skills are the ones which are able to aid us in the future. =)

tom said...

Huiling, yah u are so right...haha with about 1k points needed to get this module, it is no wonder you only see year 3 and above students taking this module! haha...

tom said...

hey sharon, yah this course really taught us alot of transferable skills and eventually help us in many areas especially in our writing in the future!

Alvin Tay said...

Hey Thomas, me too, I am quite sensitive to what I am writing these days too. Perhaps even too careful haha. Oh well, I am glad that we aquired alot of skills throughout this module and I hope it would be of great help to us in future. =)
Time for exams...

M. said...

Hey Thomas,
you have been a great teammate too!! (:
I'm glad that everything out great for us. What I want to say is that I really enjoyed working with both you and Carolyn!
You guys rock! (:
Like Alvin, I think I have also become more sensitive in what I write these days and I think the blogging part really helps quite a bit in improving our writing skills, especially for a math major like me who seldom have the chance to write research papers.(:

:: Jiahao :: said...

Hi Thomas,

Really glad to meet you in class after so many years since primary school days. I agree that this course has further enhanced our understanding of communication skills, which definitely will be beneficial and useful in time to come. All the best and stay in contact!

Danny Wong said...

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your comment in my blog.
Anyway, it is never too late to learn. I am glad you have make a breakthrough in your written communication part.

I am also more aware of my written communication part too. However, I feel that the peer review section can really accelerate our learning curve in written skills.

Good luck and see you around in Science.

Tan Zhenyun said...

Hey Thomas!!

Really glad that we have decided to 'split up' when doing our report. If not, we would have missed out the fun we had with our respective teammates!

I guess we really made the right choice by taking this module. A pity that Shawn didn't manage to get the module tho.

Anyway, best of luck for your exam.. and let's go 'havoc' after 2nd Dec!

XiaoTong said...

Hey Thomas,

Like you and Sharon, I too find this module worthwhile and hope that the skills learnt in this module will be put into good use in other areas and modules too.

Carolyn said...

Hey, it's great to have you as team mate. You are a very cooperative, diligent and initiative person. I really enjoy working with you. I hope that we could catch up once in a while even though the course is ending.

Brad Blackstone said...

Thanks, Thomas, for this solid reflection. I'm very happy that you found the course useful for yourself. Your detailed post makes that very clear, as does, I think, the fact that your writing now "seems" more coherent (which is not to say that it was incoherent before...).

I also appreciate all your fine contributions to the course, and to your excellent sense of humor along the way. You really managed to keep us all on the "light side" during class!

Hey, I had wanted to ask you earlier if I can have a copy of the fine PowerPoint presentation sides that you developed. They were really excellent!

For now, best wishes as you move on in your studies, and for your future endeavors!

tom said...

Thanks Brad, I sent you a copy of the my slides aldy...keynote is the best! haha..

btw, I don't understand what it means when you say that my writing "seems" to be more coherent. Does it mean that I still more to improve on? Please enlighten. Thanks!

Brad Blackstone said...

This means that I am not the ultimate judge; you are.

Thanks!