Saturday, October 18, 2008

Me, Myself and I

At first, I thought how hard can a 100 word bio data of myself be. In the end, I spent almost 4 hours churning this out...enough said.

I grew up in a city that advocates meritocracy, efficiency and conformity. Those values combined with my education have shaped me into a determined, organized, conscientious and independent individual. I believe in doing things right the first time and constantly refreshing one’s knowledge to keep abreast of our expanding world. Although my dominant traits have the makings of a good researcher, my dream since secondary school, I am still humbly learning from experienced university lecturers now. Eventually I envision myself to be a well-loved researcher cum lecturer who is enthusiastic in pushing the frontiers of life science and imparting valuable knowledge to students. (101 words)

Looking forward to all your comments!

12 comments:

Sharon said...

In other words, you are pursuing a career in academia. Good luck!

I totally agree with you. 100 word can be so torturous... what to include and what to exclude?! That's why I'm still awake at this hour... Then again, people scan through resumes. I doubt they actually read carefully the first round.

Brad Blackstone said...

Well put, Thomas. Clear, concise and creative!

(And I SHOULD BE reading reports!)

tom said...

Hi Sharon, totally agree with you...I bet those people from HR scan your resume first, if they find it fits the bill, will they read your biodata. But if your biodata is a good one, i suppose it will increase your chances like what Brad explained in class.

Anyway, looking forward to reading your biodata!

tom said...

Hey Brad, you are reading our reports till 2am! I bet our reports are tough to read yah. Thanks for the comments!

Danny Wong said...

Hey Tom,

I believe your 4 hours have paid off in this blog post. You have your blog post simple, structured and concise.

Good luck for your dream of becoming a researcher. Hope to see your name in some high impact journal soon. =)

Cheers,
Danny.

Alvin Tay said...

Hey bro,

I have this wish of mine to be a lecturer and researcher too. Being able to teach while funded by a school to do my research would be a dream come true.

Hope we would one day see the light at the end of the tunnel. All the best. =)

M. said...

Short and sweet and straight to the point! (:

However, I believe in learning from mistakes rather than getting it right for the first time. (:
Problems that we face everyday are like maths questions. Sometimes, we may not get it right the first time. But if we are able to find out what went wrong, we will be able to improve on our solving methods and eventually get the correct solution. (:

Tan Zhenyun said...

Great job, Thomas

**Thumbs up**

Weili said...

Very nicely done, in 101 words you manage to describe yourself, your attitudes, your work habits as well as your ambitions. Very nicely done *claps*

YILIN said...

A short and smart response!

I thought you handled the word limit very well. Very strong coherence throughout your draft!

tom said...

Hi everyone, thanks for your comments.

Michelle, I understand your point of view. That part about doing things right for the first time really means I would want to put 100% into things I do. Even if it fails on my first try, I will still carry on trying.

:: Jiahao :: said...

Hi Thomas,

I must say your posts is really short and concise, straight to the point. Great Job and all the best in your future endeavors as a researcher. Do us proud =)